Chewing during childhood can be normal behavior, however, when this behavior becomes a habit even as an adult dog it can be very annoying and annoying! This article is going to review the top 5 ways to stop your destructive chewing behavior.
- Remember that dogs Chew for several reasons: It could be that he is bored, lonely, teething when he feels anxious or frustrated, or it could be that he is seeking attention. so keep him occupied with chew toys and don’t give him too much space as you allow him to have ANY chew toys he wants to play with. Feed him, make him watch TV… whatever it takes to help him become calmer.
- You can buy amazing and very stylish chew toys for your dog. When I got my first dog at 10 weeks old, he would go crazy when he was allowed to start chewing on his playpen. I would buy him the chew toys and he would spend hours and hours trying to find the perfect one to chew on. If you have a large dog they make excellent chew toys and then you can just put one in his crate or the playpen. Warning, you have to watch him with the chew toy or he will swallow it and get very ill.
- Once you start to notice that he is beginning to chew on household items other than his playpen, you need to remove the chew toy and either move his pen closer to an exit or you can place his chew toy into another room without the door.
- Next, you want to take away anything that is tempting for him. Remember the whole purpose of this strategy is to get him to chew his toys and not something that is very valuable to you. You have to understand that you can not go to war with the enemy, so it is logical that you will need to get his attention with his chew toys. If you see that he is biting on something other than his toys you need to distract him and then hand him his chew toy. When he starts to chew on the chew toy you need to praise him and then offer him another toy.
- If you need to leave your dog alone while you are at work or school, you should consider create weaving the crate with his toys and then leaving him with a treat-filled toy so that he learns to appreciate it. One of the great benefits of having many toys for your dog is that it will get him used to chew on many different things.
The strategy that will be discussed in this article is the use of a positive reinforcement aggressive dog training method. You do not have to be aggressive to get your point across and you do not have to be upsetting either. As you are reading you will learn the 5 simple techniques that are used in dog training to stop a dog from chewing.
If you follow this with consistent patience and aggression you will achieve success and may even stop your dog from chewing in the future.
Be consistent in your approach. Do not think that by leaving him alone for a while he will forget what he is doing wrong. You need to show him what he should be doing.
Be firm and bring him to the designated spot where it is OK for him to chew.
Praise him when he starts chewing on his toys.
You cannot train your dog to stop chewing an object that is not his. If you believe he might be chewing on something that belongs to you remove it and bring him to his designated spot.
Do not leave temptation lying around so that he has the urge to chew. Make sure you keep eyeball proof and put away things that might be chewy. You need to keep him safe and one of the best methods of doing this is to place bitter apple spray on items that you want him to avoid.
When you catch him chewing on something he is not supposed to you need to make a loud noise that will get his attention and then give him his chew toy. When he begins to chew on his toy you need to praise him. This will help him to understand that chewing his toy is the right thing to do and so instead of chewing yours you can be sure to praise him for chewing his toy.
You need to be persistent and always stick to one way of training your dog. If you are not being consistent with your approach dog will pick up on your lack of consistency and will continue to behave in a manner that you do not want. It is important to only use positive training methods that actually work.
While you are training your dog remember that practice is essential. Just remember to apply the same techniques time after time and your dog will start to understand what behavior is expected.
If you need further help on how to stop your dog from chewing or even how to stop your dog from biting I provide a free dog training video lesson at the bottom.